Obtaining your driving license can be a joyous rite of passage for most teens. We believe driving is a privilege that is to be taken seriously and our goal is to train all our students to be safe, responsible and to respect the independence driving provides.
After six hours of class, students take their written test with us and can go get their permit from DPS!
The classroom portion is over in 16 days! The driving should be finished by 90 days and the 14 hours required by DPS will be done with GCDA if they took the entire course!
Students or parents can chose the day/time for their in-vehicle lessons from our weekly driving list by coming in or calling! We generally drive seven days a week: after school, and on weekends during the school year and throughout the day in the summer!
Students can take the full course, only the classroom, or only the driving portion. The classroom has an actual instructor to facilitate student learning, not computers! Our in-vehicle instructors have been professionally trained and safety is our number one priority.
We take credit/debit online and cash in the office. There is a $50 non-refundable fee if you request a refund after the 3rd business day of receipt of payment.
GCDA is an approved DPS Third Party Skills Tester so we can offer the road skills test for the actual license but it is an additional fee. You can also our vehicle if you test with us but, since we assume the insurance liability, it is an extra fee. However, you can use anyone’s vehicle if their insurance allows.
We are in and out throughout the day so our phone may go to answering mode. You are welcome to leave a message for us to return your call when back in the office. If you need a response sooner, you can TEXT 979-529-8816 or email firstname.lastname@example.org as these are monitored when we are out of office.
Want to drive?
Without taking some form of driver education, you can’t get a license until you’re 25.
Here’s what it takes to get your license if you are UNDER 18.
Your Teen Driving course needs to be completed within 3 months.
If it takes longer, you’ll need to sign a variance and pay an additional fee.
- 32 hours instruction in the classroom (16 sessions)
- Classes are Mon-Fri for the first two weeks and Mon-Sat for the last week (final is given on the Sat. class)
- 14 hours instruction instruction in a vehicle (7 hours driving/7 hours observation)
- 30 hours behind the wheel with a licensed adult driver in the passenger seat. These are the responsibility of the parent/guardian. Hours must be logged on the official record log before they can get their drivers license.
Get a Learner's Permit
Students must be at least 15 and a parent/guardian must take them to DPS.
Do not go until you have all the documentation below:
- Certified or original birth certificate (no hospital, Xerox, or laminated copies)
- Social Security Card (not just the number)
- VOE (Verification of Enrollment) from current public/private school (if they failed or are having to make up hours they possibly may not be eligible to receive one and VOE’s are only good for 30 days except for the summer.)
- Present or past photo ID (can use old school ID)
- $16.00 (or current cost)
- DE964 (furnished by GCDA)
- DL14A (furnished by GCDA)
- TX Proof of Residency (form provided by GCDA)—parent/guardian must bring two proofs of residency with their physical address (no P.O. Box) dated between 30-90 days. It must have the same name and address on both.
- To get their license, a student has to have finished drivers ed, have held their permit a MINIMUM of six (6) months AND must be at least 16 (unless they are turning 18 before the six months is up).
- Once eligible to get a license, students will either contact DPS to schedule the driving exam OR they may take the driving exam with Gulf Coast Driving Academy (requires an additional fee). The driving skills test fee is NOT included in the teen driving contract. If scheduling with Gulf Coast Driving Academy, they will receive the route in advance as well as vehicle requirements.
- Required documents to take the road test are: Permit, DE964 certificate, ITTD certificate, Paper copy of current insurance, Verification of Enrollment or Diploma, 30 Hour Parent Log, and bring your parent.
- Students must furnish the vehicle to take the driving skills exam in and they will have to show proof of current insurance on that vehicle. If testing with us, they may use our vehicle and our insurance (additional fee).
- The driving test is offered at our Lake Jackson location.