Obtaining your driving license can be a joyous rite of passage for most teens. We believe driving is a privilege that is to be taken seriously and our goal is to train all our students to be safe, responsible and to respect the independence driving provides.
- Depending on the time of year, the classroom portion may be held different days of the week so check to see whether it is a 4 week class, 3 week class, or 1 week class.
- Students are given 90 days to complete the driving portion required for the course. Depending on their motivation and skills, they can complete the driving much sooner.
If paying in full with cash for the full teen course, we offer a $20 discount. You must get a receipt for any cash transactions.
If paying in full with cash for just the teen classroom, we offer a $20 discount. You must get a receipt for any cash transactions.
- 30 hours behind the wheel with a licensed adult driver in the passenger seat. These are the responsibility of the parent/guardian. Hours must be logged on the official record log before they can get their drivers license.
- Certified or original birth certificate (no hospital, Xerox, or laminated copies)
- Social Security Card (not just the number)
- VOE (Verification of Enrollment) from current public/private school (if they failed or are having to make up hours they possibly may not be eligible to receive one and VOE’s are only good for 30 days except for the summer.)
- Present or past photo ID (can use old school ID)
- $16.00 (or current cost)
- DE964 (furnished by GCDA)
- DL14B (form provided by GCDA)
- TX Proof of Residency (form provided by GCDA)—parent/guardian must bring two proofs of residency with their physical address (no P.O. Box) dated between 30-90 days. It must have the same name and address on both.
- To get their license, a student has to have finished drivers ed, have held their permit a MINIMUM of six (6) months AND must be at least 16 (unless they are turning 18 before the six months is up).
- Once eligible to get a license, students will either contact DPS to schedule the driving exam OR they may take the driving exam with Gulf Coast Driving Academy (requires an additional fee). The driving skills test fee is NOT included in the teen driving contract. If scheduling with Gulf Coast Driving Academy, they will receive the route in advance as well as vehicle requirements.
- Required documents to take the road test are: Permit, DE964 certificate, ITTD certificate, Paper copy of current insurance, Verification of Enrollment or Diploma, 30 Hour Parent Log, and bring your parent.
- Students must furnish the vehicle to take the driving skills exam in and they will have to show proof of current insurance on that vehicle. If testing with us, they may use our vehicle and our insurance for an additional fee since we assume liability.
- The driving test is offered at our Lake Jackson location only. We can test any teen whether they took the course with us or not.