Obtaining your driving license can be a joyous rite of passage for most teens. We believe driving is a privilege that is to be taken seriously and our goal is to train all our students to be safe, responsible and to respect the independence driving provides.
- 32 hours instruction in the classroom (16 sessions)
- Classes are Mon-Fri for the first two weeks and Mon-Sat for the last week (final is given on the Sat. class)
- 14 hours instruction instruction in a vehicle (7 hours driving/7 hours observation)
- 30 hours behind the wheel with a licensed adult driver in the passenger seat. (10 of these hours at night and ALL of the hours documented on the official log–these are required by DPS to be logged before they go to get their license)
- Certified or original birth certificate (no hospital version, Xerox, or laminated copies)
- Social Security Card (not just the number)
- VOE (Verification of Enrollment) from current public/private school (if they failed or are having to make up hours they possibly may not be eligible to receive one and VOE’s are only good for 30 days except for the summer.)
- Present or past photo ID (can use old school ID)
- $16.00 (or current cost)
- DE964 (furnished by GCDA)
- DL14A (furnished by GCDA)
- DL40 (furnished by GCDA)
- TX Proof of Residency (form provided by GCDA)—parent/guardian must bring two proofs of residency with their physical address (no P.O. Box) dated between 30-90 days. It must have the same name and address on both.
- To get their license, a student has to have finished drivers ed, have held their permit a MINIMUM of six (6) months AND must be at least 16 (unless they are turning 18 before the six months is up).
- Once eligible to get a license, students will either contact DPS to schedule the driving exam OR they may take the driving exam with Gulf Coast Driving Academy (requires an additional fee). The driving skills test fee is NOT included in the teen driving contract. If scheduling with Gulf Coast Driving Academy, they will receive the route in advance as well as vehicle requirements.
- Required documents to take the road test are: Permit, DE964 certificate, ITTD certificate, Paper copy of current insurance, Verification of Enrollment or Diploma, 30 Hour Parent Log, and bring your parent.
- Students must furnish the vehicle to take the driving skills exam in and they will have to show proof of current insurance on that vehicle. If testing with us, they may use our vehicle and our insurance (additional fee).
- The driving test is offered at our Lake Jackson location.